Saucy, sweet and sour asian bbq chicken recipe that is so dang good! Juicy chicken thighs are simmered in a brown sugar blend of tangy sauce using hoisin sauce and even pineapple juice! Combined with the tender potatoes, who wouldn’t love this comfort dish?
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I’ll receive a commission if you purchase through my links, at no extra cost to you. Please read full disclosure for more information.
Seriously the ultimate asian bbq chicken recipe right here! These chicken thighs are browned and covered in a rich, sweet sauce different than the traditional barbecue sauce!
Great for a quick weeknight recipe in 30-minutes the family will definitely love! No complicated ingredients here!
Plus, we’ve included some optional ingredients you may want to include for the best asian bbq sauce! Not needed, but totally recommended!
This post will go over everything you need to know to create this asian bbq chicken recipe.
Recipe difficulty: Beginner level tried and tested!
These asian bbq chicken thighs uses only a handful of ingredients to create an incredible coating to the chicken! Simple and ready to eat! Plus, combined with the potatoes this dish is equally satisfying and filling! We literally cannot get enough of this sauce as it’s way too good!
Sam’s Pro Tips for this Asian BBQ Chicken Recipe
Brown the Chicken Thighs
Brown the chicken thighs over medium-high until the outside is JUST golden brown.
Once all the spices and sauce are added to create this asian bbq chicken marinade consistency, the chicken thighs will continue to simmer in the sauce until that tender consistency is achieved. No one likes overcooked chicken!
See our 25-Minute Simple Chicken Adobo Recipe or Tangy Filipino Chicken Afritada You Need to Try | Chicken Stew for more chicken tips and to get the best flavor!
Chicken thighs are a popular choice in asian bbq recipes as we want to keep the inside juicy and full of that flavor from the sauce.
Simmer and Sugar
In order to get that rich, sweet and sour taste in this asian bbq chicken recipe, you’ll want to mix a combination of hoisin sauce, pineapple juice, and here’s the optional RECOMMENDED ingredient – piloncillo!
Piloncillo is unrefined brown sugar cane popular in Mexican cuisine. This type of sugar is a deep, robust flavor that creates one of the more sweeter asian bbq sauce recipes. So good!
After the chicken thighs simmers in the sweet sauce, you’ll find the sauce will slightly thicken as the flavor continues to develop. See our Authentic Mexican Enchiladas Vegetarian Recipe with Cheese for other recipes using piloncillo!
Interested in Filipino Cuisine?
Soy and hoisin sauce are pretty common in Asian cooking, and both are no exception to Filipino cuisine!
You may already have these ingredients in your kitchen, but there are some ingredients for these authentic Filipino recipes you should always have!
Check out the top five Filipino ingredients I always recommend you have AND where to find it in our FREE LIBRARY! Plus, we shared the 5 Incredibly Easy Filipino Recipes for Dinner to Help You Plan Your Week to help readers like you!
Key Ingredients – Asian BBQ Chicken Recipe
Below are some key and optional ingredients for this recipe:
- Chicken thighs: We love using chicken fillet thighs in this asian bbq chicken recipe! Chicken thighs are extremely juicy in the sauce and has great flavor! Super easy to cook also!
- Potatoes: Use red ruby potatoes for an easy way to add some diced potatoes! You can keep the skin on or off, just be sure to scrub and wash the potatoes well!
- Onion: Dice a whole onion and throw it into the pot!
- Garlic: Only 3 cloves is needed for that earthy flavor. Sometimes we love using the Trader Joes Minced Garlic for a quick alternative without all that peeling!
- Bay leaves: 3 bay leaves will simmer with all these nutritious ingredients! Be sure to remove the bay leaves when serving! (No one wants to eat a leaf)
- Pineapple juice: For that tart and sweet flavor, a ¼ cup of pineapple juice is added to the yummy barbecue sauce. See The Ultimate Filipino Spaghetti Sauce Recipe for more pineapple recipes! Not joking, pineapple juice is a must!
- Lemon: Add a dash of lemon juice for some acidity to the sweetness. Definitely elevates this dish!
- Hoisin sauce: For the best asian bbq sauce, we simmer our asian bbq chicken recipe with hoisin sauce for that sweet flavor and glazed look. The hoisin sauce gives the perfect amount of tangy and makes this dish oh so tasty!
- Soy sauce: Soy sauce is so common in Filipino cuisine! The soy sauce will add to that dark color in this asian bbq chicken thighs and give that signature salty flavor.
- Piloncillo (unrefined brown sugar): We love to use piloncillo for that sweet, robust flavor. Totally deepens the flavor and balances the salty!
- Red chili flakes: For a touch of spice, red chili flakes are a great way to spice things up in a quick way! Use to preference.
More Variations to this Asian BBQ Chicken Recipe
There are a few ways you can variate this asian bbq chicken recipe. Here’s how:
- Skewers anyone? Similar to our Filipino Pork Barbecue Skewer Recipe Perfectly Glazed, cut these chicken thighs into large chunks to stick on a skewer for a crowd favorite. Easy, with no mess!
- Do you have other chicken recipes? Yes! Our Easy Sticky Honey Instant Pot Buffalo Wings in 4 Simple Steps is a great wing recipe to crank out quickly or our Instant Pot Filipino Chicken Adobo | Fall-off-the-Bone Drumsticks is a family favorite!
- What can I pair with this dish? Have some steamed white rice on the side to spoon this asian bbq chicken recipe over! For a complete meal (as in what meal is complete without dessert?!), serve up our Rich and Creamy Mango Cheesecake Instant Pot Recipe or 3-Ingredient Filipino Banana Cue Recipe for Your Afternoon Snack for a delicious, sweet treat!
Looking for some awesome printables that are totally FREE? Our favorite! Check out our FREE LIBRARY for our Grocery Checklist or our Instant Pot Cooking Times Chart to help you on your cooking journey!
- 20-Minute Shrimp and Pineapple Fried Rice with Sriracha
- 5-Topping Filipino Palabok Recipe with Easy Shrimp Sauce
- Easy Burger Patty Recipe Without Breadcrumbs
- Perfectly Sweet and Crispy Filipino Turon Recipe | Fried Banana Rolls
Frequently Asked Questions
Do you need to marinate this asian bbq chicken thighs?
No marinating needed for this Asian bbq chicken thighs as the chicken thighs will simmer in the sauce.
What meat is used for Asian BBQ?
Asian BBQ is commonly made with chicken or pork, but beef can be used as well.
How long does this asian bbq chicken recipe last?
For the best asian bbq chicken thighs, consume within 3-4 days in the refrigerator for optimal flavor.
Leave a Reply