This Filipino arroz caldo recipe is loaded with ginger and herbs for a delicious porridge perfect for when you’re feeling under the weather or need a soul-warming dish! With just 8 key ingredients, your soup pot will contain a hearty meal in under 30 minutes!
If you are in need of a simple, economical dish, with natural immune-boosting ingredients, this Filipino arroz caldo recipe is exactly what you need!
Arroz caldo meaning rice porridge, is a thick rice porridge loaded with chicken, ginger, garlic, rice, and other nutritious ingredients cooked in one pot!
This easy recipe is totally for anyone feeling under the weather or need a nourishing boost!
This post will go over everything you need to know to create this Filipino arroz caldo recipe.
Recipe difficulty: Easy, beginner level as this porridge is not complicated at all!
This classic Filipino chicken arroz caldo recipe makes use of easy and fresh ingredients that is simmered in a soup pot for an incredible flavor! Shredded chicken combined with the rice and ginger, makes this the Filipino version of chicken noodle soup that is not difficult to cook! Prepping the ingredients beforehand will make tossing into the soup pot super easy!
Sam’s Pro Tips for this Filipino Arroz Caldo Recipe
Thickness of the Arroz Caldo
- Important! Cook the rice until just softened and the desired thickness of the porridge is achieved. So remember, rice will continue to absorb liquid when cooked and even after! If you leave the soup pot on the heat for too long, you may not have any liquid left! Cook the rice until just softened and the porridge has slightly thickened! It will continue to thicken as the porridge cools, but you still want enough liquid in the pot for it to appear more soup-like.
- Adjust the thickness with chicken broth or water. Here’s another trick on how to make arroz caldo! If the porridge becomes too thick or if any flavor is too strong, add more chicken broth or even water. Chicken broth is preferred for the delicious flavor it gives this dish, but water will do in a pinch!
- Fresh ginger works the best for the ultimate flavor! I know peeling and mincing ginger can be a bit tiresome, but trust me, the flavor it gives this dish is worth it! In a pinch, I have used the frozen crushed ginger cubes below, but the flavor is not as good as using the real thing! Doing the prep work of the ginger will probably be the most work in this whole dish, which really isn’t that bad! As an added benefit, using fresh ginger also is a natural immune-boosting herb that helps if you don’t feel well!
Best Way to Reheat Arroz Caldo
- What is the best way to reheat the arroz caldo? Remember how I was saying rice absorbs liquid? If you happen to have any leftovers (I really don’t think you will), don’t be surprised if you notice the rice has absorbed some of the liquid the next day. For this reason, the best way to reheat the arroz caldo is to put the leftover porridge in a medium size soup pot and add some chicken broth! So easy! Not only will the chicken broth adjust the thickness to the consistency you want, but it adds to the amazing flavor of the arroz caldo.
Key Ingredients – Filipino Arroz Caldo Recipe
Below are some key ingredients for this recipe:
Rice and Chicken
- Rice: You will need 1 cup of a long-grain rice, such as Jasmine! Don’t worry, 1 cup is plenty as the rice will expand and absorb all of the rich flavor from the broth and herbs! Make sure to read the Tips section above on adjusting the consistency of the porridge or reheating this dish due to the rice!
- Chicken: We love using shredded chicken in this recipe and is one of the main arroz caldo ingredients! You can use diced chicken as well, but using the shredded chicken gives the perfect bite size amount for every spoonful! It also keeps this rice porridge recipe from becoming overly chunky. You can shred the chicken separately in an instant pot or crock put, just be sure to follow the directions for that appliance. To keep the shredded chicken extra flavorful, refer to our Easy Shredded Chicken Tacos Recipe with Green Salsa for directions and tips!
Herbs and Vegetables
- Ginger: For sure, this is the base of the arroz caldo for that signature taste! Ginger has a bunch of nutritious health properties, with the most well-known being an immune booster. I’m not kidding when I say this Filipino arroz caldo recipe is a favorite when I have a cold or am feeling under the weather!
- Garlic: So, I totally use a whole head of garlic in this recipe! You can adjust this to preference, but we love the combination with the ginger and chicken! You can buy already peeled garlic cloves to make this step easier. Remember 1 garlic head will have roughly 10-15 cloves.
- Onion: The rice will absorb the flavor of the onion and garlic during the cooking process.
- Chicken broth: This is the liquid that will be added to this arroz caldo recipe and can be adjusted to preference. If you want to dilute the chicken broth or don’t want to use as much, water can be added. However, remember the added water will not have as much flavor as the chicken broth. Make sure to have extra chicken broth so you can add some to the soup pot if you need to reheat the arroz caldo the next day.
- Fish sauce: Very common in Filipino cooking! Fish sauce adds to the broth and can be used to top off the porridge when serving.
- Lemon juice: The acidity of the lemon juice pairs well with the ginger and gives this dish an incredible flavor boost! Reserve some lemon wedges on the side when plating.
More Variations to this Filipino Arroz Caldo Recipe
There are a few ways you can variate this Filipino arroz caldo recipe. Here’s how:
- Don’t forget the toppings! While this Filipino chicken arroz caldo recipe is already extremely flavorful and delicious, these toppings take this dish to a whole other level! These toppings are fun to serve with guests or for a family dinner. Have in small bowls chopped green onion, hardboiled eggs sliced in half, lemon or calamansi wedges, fish sauce, freshly ground pepper, or even fried or roasted garlic for guests to top their porridge.
- What can I pair with this dish? Arroz caldo can be extremely filling, especially with the toppings! It can be a main dish or even a snack! It’s also fun to serve as the topping choices can be endless! For added protein, try our Stovetop Honey Soy Chicken Wings with Ginger that will compliment this dish well! (Ginger all around!) Or for something lighter, our 20-Minute Chili Brown Sugar Salmon, will pair well with this rice porridge due to the zesty lemon juice and chili sesame oil!
- Filipino Beef Giniling to Warm the Soul | Meat Stew
- Spicy Filipino Sardines Recipe with Habaneros| Ginisang Sardinas
- Stovetop Honey Soy Chicken Wings with Ginger
- Fire Roasted Tomato Bisque Recipe Perfect for Cozy Weather
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the meaning of arroz caldo?
Arroz caldo, or rice porridge, is a favorite Filipino dish.
What is the benefits of arroz caldo?
Arroz caldo is made with natural immune-boosting ingredients like ginger, lemon juice, and other vegetables and herbs.
How long does arroz caldo last?
Arroz caldo can last 2-3 days in the refrigerator. However, when reheating this porridge, add some chicken broth to the desired thickness as the rice will absorb some of the liquid in the refrigerator.
How many cloves does a head of garlic have?
Depending on the size of the garlic, there are about 10-15 cloves.