Get ready for this fall off the bone instant pot Filipino chicken adobo recipe perfect for when you have limited time and only want to wash one pot! Easiest chicken adobo recipe for anyone to follow!
This instant pot Filipino chicken adobo is perfect for your quick, one-pot meal that is fall off the bone GOOD!
Authentic and easy, this recipe is very similar to our 25-Minute Simple Chicken Adobo Recipe with a slight twist of the seasonings to really make the flavor of the drumsticks pop! I’m talking finger-licking good!
Definitely add this Filipino chicken adobo recipe to your instant pot recipes as it’s an easy, go-to everyone will love!
This post will go over everything you need to know to create this instant pot Filipino chicken adobo.
Recipe difficulty: Super easy beginner level recipe as you just throw in the pot!
Totally one of those instant pot Filipino recipes you need to SAVE! These chicken drumsticks have so much flavor as the vinegar and soy sauce thoroughly infuse every part of the chicken! Rich and tender, these drumsticks will be drenched in the tart sauce loaded with garlic! (Dreaming yet?)
Sam’s Pro Tips for this Instant Pot Filipino Chicken Adobo
Don’t Forget to Pat Dry!
- Pat dry your chicken with a paper towel. This tip was discussed in our 25-Minute Simple Chicken Adobo Recipe and is totally worth it! After washing the chicken, pat dry the chicken with a paper towel to help cook the chicken evenly and for the outside to get a nice sear. For these flavorful drumsticks, this really gives a more robust flavor to the skin and sauce.
Getting the Best Sauce
- Thicken the sauce with cornstarch! So, you know how when you cook any recipe in the instant pot, there is naturally more liquid that gets built up? This recipe is no exception! After everything is tossed in with the drumsticks, you may find that the sauce is way TOO MUCH for the drumsticks. Everyone loves extra sauce spooned over their rice, right? To thicken the sauce before spooning over the drumsticks, mix 1 tablespoon of cornstarch with 1 tablespoon of water to mix with the sauce. Have this boil in the instant pot for another 10 minutes, and boom! Your sauce will thicken perfectly!
- Adjust the tanginess of the sauce to your preference! After the drumsticks is done cooking in the sauce, taste the sauce! If the sauce is too tart for you, add more water to dilute the acidity of the vinegar and soy sauce. While we love the ratio of soy sauce to vinegar in this instant pot Filipino chicken adobo recipe, make sure it works to your preferences!
Key Ingredients – Instant Pot Filipino Chicken Adobo
Below are some key and optional ingredients for this recipe:
- Chicken drumsticks: Eat these tasty chicken drumsticks by hand or with a fork! No one will judge… Spoon the tart sauce over the drumsticks before serving for even more flavor in every bite.
- Soy sauce: There are many different types of soy sauces out there! However, we have the perfect ratio of soy sauce to vinegar that works every time and was shared in our 5 Incredibly Easy Filipino Recipes for Dinner to Help You Plan Your Week! My easy trick is to use a ½ cup soy sauce to 1 cup vinegar.
- Vinegar: Cane vinegar is extremely popular in Filipino cooking! If you need help finding this, download our Top 5 Crazy-Cheap Ingredients You Need for Filipino Cooking and Where to Find It from my free resource library! (Get the password to the library in the form at the bottom of this post).
- Water: Add 1/4 cup of water to cut the acidity of the vinegar and soy sauce! You can adjust the water to preference depending on what kind of soy sauce and vinegar you use but try the sauce first!
- Cornstarch: Mix 1 tablespoon of cornstarch with 1 tablespoon of water to thicken the sauce. Totally optional but recommended to really enjoy the flavor of the sauce with the drumsticks!
Seasoning and Herbs
- Garlic: 10 cloves of garlic is used! Everyone and their mother can tase this! You can either finely mince or use a garlic press to add to the sauce.
- Bay leaves: 5 bay leaves will go into the instant Pot with the chicken drumsticks to add a nice, earthy flavor to the sauce. When serving, be sure to remove the bay leaves! No one wants to eat a leaf by accident!
- Red chili flakes: Add some spice to these chicken drumsticks! Use a 1/2 teaspoon to season the drumsticks as it browns. Yum!
- Cumin: You know we love cumin in our wings as seen in our Stovetop Honey Soy Chicken Wings with Ginger! In other words, the cumin adds a depth of flavor and pairs nicely with the soy sauce.
- Cilantro: Top these drumsticks off with chopped cilantro as a garnish. Delicious and pretty to look at on your plate!
More Variations to this Instant Pot Filipino Chicken Adobo
There are a few ways you can variate this instant pot Filipino chicken adobo. Here’s how:
- Change the meat! This sauce is pretty much a favorite on almost all meat choices! Therefore, give it a try with pork belly or even pork ribs for a delicious flavor of meat. If you gave this a try, let us know in the comments below!
- What can I pair with this dish? This instant pot Filipino chicken adobo is a favorite with white rice or even Filipino Garlic Fried Rice! Spoon the sauce over the rice when serving. Also, don’t forget to have some of our Hot and Crispy Fried Smelt Fish Perfect with Vinegar on the side for a vinegar kick all around!
To make sure you’re always prepared for these recipes download our Top 5 Crazy-Cheap Ingredients You Need for Filipino Cooking and Where to Find It from my free resource library! (Get the password to the library in the form at the bottom of this post).
- Party Favorite Sriracha Deviled Eggs with Shredded Parmesan
- 7-Minute Cilantro Cauliflower Lime Rice
- Filipino Garlic Fried Rice | Sinangag
- Filipino Beef Giniling to Warm the Soul | Meat Stew
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Adobo better the next day?
Fun fact! Filipino adobo is usually better the next day as the flavor continues to develop when it is stored.
Does adobo need to be refrigerated?
Store the Filipino chicken adobo in the refrigerator and consume within 3 days for optimal flavor.