Top your meat, fish, and breads with this insanely easy jalapeno honey butter! Literally done in 2 simple steps, this jalapeno lime butter quickly takes any dish from basic to wow! Zesty and delicious, it’s the perfect beginner recipe for any level cook!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I’ll receive a commission if you purchase through my links, at no extra cost to you. Please read full disclosure for more information.
Level up your go-to weeknight dinner recipes with this amazing jalapeno honey butter, perfect for any occasion!
Mixed with honey, cilantro, and the zest of the lime, the spicy flavor of the jalapeno is balanced perfectly for the best topping to any of your favorite recipes!
As an added bonus, this easy jalapeno butter is the perfect “quick” gift for a housewarming party or recipe exchange! Definitely always a hit!
This post will go over everything you need to know to create this jalapeno honey butter.
Recipe difficulty: Easy, stress-free recipe that looks difficult but really isn’t!
So seriously one of the simplest cilantro butter recipes assembled in like 10 minutes! Using fresh, simple ingredients this cilantro lime butter looks beautiful on the plate and enhances the flavor of any dish!
Sam’s Pro Tips for this Jalapeno Honey Butter
Cut the Stem of the Jalapeno Last
We love cooking our Mexican dishes with jalapeno like our Quick and Easy Authentic Chile Verde Recipe That is So Tender. However, dicing jalapenos can burn!
To prevent your hands from burning or having your nose run (like me!), a trick is to cut the stem LAST.
If you think about it, to avoid crying with an onion, it’s advised to leave the root on when cutting. It’s the same concept with a jalapeno!
Once you learn this trick, it’ll be no problem cooking with jalapeno in this jalapeno butter recipe!
Softened Butter Equals Easier Mixing
This is one of the top tips I shared in my Fluffy Bread Machine Ube Bread Rolls with a Sugared Cream Cheese Frosting!
Have the butter sit on the counter 45 minutes to an hour depending on the climate you live in. You want the butter to be soft, but still slightly firm if you put your finger on it.
If you’re able to press down easily, it’s too soft! You want it just soft enough for you to be able to mix the ingredients easily to create your jalapeno honey butter.
How to Store the Butter?
You have a couple different options to storing this jalapeno butter recipe. Totally based on preference!
After wrapping the butter in plastic wrap or parchment paper, you can store the butter in the refrigerator and cut cubes as needed from the plastic wrap.
Or you can transfer the jalapeno honey butter to a covered ramekin or container to spoon out as needed. The pro to this option is that it looks prettier in the ramekin on the dinner table!
Key Ingredients – Jalapeno Honey Butter
Below are some key and optional ingredients for this recipe:
- Unsalted butter: ½ a cup of softened unsalted butter is the base of this cilantro butter recipe. We love using unsalted as we can control the salt level!
- Jalapenos: I only used ½ a jalapeno in this jalapeno lime butter. That was plenty to add spice to this favorite dish! You can use a whole jalapeno for extra spice, just be sure to finely dice the pepper.
- Honey: To balance the sweetness, we added just a touch of honey. Honey is a great natural sweetener, and we love using this in our savory dishes like our Juicy Bacon Pork Chops with Apples!
- Lime: Using lime is a common ingredient in our Latin dishes, and for this jalapeno butter recipe we like to use both the zest and juice of ½ a lime. Seeing a pattern with the ½ measurements?
- Cilantro: Three teaspoons of finely chopped cilantro is mixed with the butter for a rich, herbed flavor and a pop of that dark green color.
- Salt and pepper: Just the basics are used to preference and is really all that is needed to further flavor the jalapeno honey butter.
- Trader Joe’s Green Goddess Seasoning (optional): Not needed, but totally recommended! We love the Trader Joe’s Green Goddess Seasoning in our hot pepper butter as this incredible seasoning adds notes of lemon powder, dried parsley, and dried chives among other yummy ingredients. Use to preference, but really a pinch is plenty!
More Variations to this Jalapeno Honey Butter
There are a few ways you can variate this jalapeno honey butter. Here’s how:
- Meat, fish, or bread: Seriously this recipe can easily become a cilantro lime butter sauce for fish or be the ultimate jalapeno butter for cornbread! The choices are endless! Or you can add it in stir-fry to jazz up any vegetable or rice dish.
- What can I pair with this dish? Some favorite pairings with this zesty jalapeno honey butter is our 7-Minute Cilantro Cauliflower Lime Rice or our Habanero Herbed Spicy Pork Chops Recipe for an Easy Dinner. You can sauté each dish with just a spoonful of this jalapeno lime butter or have on a serving dish for folks that may want extra on their pork. So many delicious options!
- Spiced Oregano Chicken Recipe with Tomatillos
- Easy Shredded Chicken Tacos Recipe with Green Salsa
- 20-Minute Shrimp and Pineapple Fried Rice with Sriracha
- 5-Step Best Beef Salpicao Recipe
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does honey butter last?
This jalapeno honey butter can last 3-4 weeks in the refrigerator depending on the expiration on the unsalted butter as well.
Does honey butter need to be refrigerated?
Please be sure to refrigerate this jalapeno lime butter in a covered container to prevent spoilage.
Does homemade honey butter go bad?
Yes, this homemade jalapeno honey butter can go bad if not refrigerated properly.
What do you eat honey butter with?
This cilantro lime butter can be the perfect topping on breads, meat, or even fish. Additionally, this butter can also be used in stir-fry recipes as well.