Easy lemon chicken pasta with spinach loaded with herbs and vegetables in a simple lemon and olive oil dressing! This fresh pasta is quickly tossed together in one pan and uses basic ingredients for a speedy weeknight meal!
This simple lemon chicken pasta with spinach is the perfect dinner meal for those busy weeknights, using those leftover vegetables!
Made with a quick (and totally easy!) olive oil and lemon dressing, there is no need for extra seasonings or fancy ingredients!
Totally uses just the basic essentials to put this healthy chicken spinach pasta tossed together in one pan!
This post will go over everything you need to know to create this lemon chicken pasta with spinach.
Recipe difficulty: Easy, just chop and toss!
Use those extra vegetables in the refrigerator to make this chicken spinach pasta recipe in a zesty olive oil dressing! Combined with the lemon juice and herbs, simple never tasted so good when this pasta is prepared! The secret? Whole grain Dijon mustard…
Sam’s Pro Tips for this Lemon Chicken Pasta with Spinach
Cook Your Pasta with Salt and Oil
I know this is a hit or miss topic as there are varying opinions, but I cook my pasta with salt and olive oil in the water! We shared this tip in our Best Shrimp Scampi Recipe with Pasta Recipe!
I find that the salt helps flavor the pasta and the olive oil prevents my noodles from sticking. Super helpful if you forget to occasionally stir the pasta as it cooks (Totally guilty of this!)
Customize the Vegetables to Preference
I love using vegetables that are easy to cook and already prepared! So, in this lemon chicken spinach pasta, I simply toss in the bag of spinach leaves, sliced mushrooms, and halved grape tomatoes (ok, so the tomatoes have some prep).
However, you can use whichever vegetables you may have on hand as that’s the beauty of this olive oil dressing with the lemon. There are so many choices!
Bigger the Pan the Better
So, this is one of those healthy chicken and spinach pasta recipes that makes use of all those nutritious vegetables and herbs! As such, to make your life easier, use the biggest sauté pan you have!
Not joking! Mixing all the ingredients can become tiresome and messy if your pan is too small. A larger pan makes this way easier!
Key Ingredients – Lemon Chicken Pasta with Spinach
Below are some key and optional ingredients for this recipe:
- Spaghetti: Thinner noodles work best with this lemon chicken pasta with spinach to get more of that vegetable flavor! You can definitely use something different, but we like spaghetti with this type of pasta!
- Chicken: Cooking the sliced chicken breast with butter and olive oil gives a nice flavor to the chicken without even using seasoning yet! Two pounds of chicken ensures every bite has a generous serving.
- Grape tomatoes: Halved grape tomatoes pairs great with this healthy chicken spinach pasta as the sweetness of the tomatoes gives a nice freshness! Plus, the juice adds to the olive oil dressing.
- Mushroom slices: Sliced cremini mushrooms give a rich flavor to the pasta and cooks super quickly. Buy these mushrooms already sliced to save time!
- Spinach leaves: After washing your baby spinach leaves, throw it in the pot! That’s it! Honestly, the more the better, as spinach totally shrinks when cooking. In our Savory Chicken Tinola with Spinach | Filipino Ginger-Chicken Soup, we love to grab handfuls of these healthy greens!
- Parsley: Usually I don’t mind using dried parsley flakes, but in this lemon chicken pasta with spinach, I actually prefer the fresh chopped parsley. This will be your finishing step and really perks this pasta right up!
- Whole grain Dijon mustard: This is the secret sauce to this recipe! I sauté the vegetables with a tablespoon of the mustard to add some flavor and give a nice zing to the pasta. Don’t skip out on this!
- Chili flakes: For a bit of spice and elevates the flavor! Season to preference.
- Lemon pepper seasoning (optional): Season the chicken with a bit of lemon pepper seasoning combined with the butter for some extra flavorful pieces.
- Olive oil: A key component in the dressing! This will coat the spaghetti and give a rich flavor with the lemon. I like to go heavier with the olive oil than lighter.
- Lemon: A whole lemon is juiced to be mixed with the olive oil. You could use more but start with one first! Be sure to have lemon wedges on the side for folks that want more!
- Garlic powder: Use garlic powder in the dressing to add to that herbed flavor and is way easier than peeling and mincing fresh garlic cloves.
- Parmesan cheese: Grate fresh parmesan to get that fresh flavor. Way better than the canned stuff…
More Variations to this Lemon Chicken Pasta with Spinach
There are a few ways you can variate this lemon chicken pasta with spinach. Here’s how:
- Alternate the vegetables and meat: Use chopped zucchini or diced pork in this lemon chicken spinach pasta for something different! Or add some chopped basil to make this extra herb-based.
- Have any more easy pasta dishes? Yes! One of our favorite recipes here is The Ultimate Filipino Spaghetti Sauce Recipe, served on spaghetti (of course!)! The sauce is super addicting and a popular favorite! For warmer weather, our Asian-Inspired Easy Cold Pasta Salad Recipe | 7-Ingredients Only is a great toss-together pasta with a zesty rice vinegar dressing.
- What can I pair with this dish? This is a great dinner meal super filling on its own! Make this a complete meal with our 15-Minute Mini Pecan Sticky Buns to Drool Over or our Classy Chocolate Mousse with Grand Marnier to Indulge In to satisfy that sweet craving!
Looking for some awesome printables that are totally FREE? Our favorite! Check out our FREE LIBRARY for our Grocery Checklist or Top 5 Ingredients you Need for Filipino Cooking printables to help you on your cooking journey!
- 15-Minute Asian Chili Garlic Butter Shrimp with Sprite
- Habanero Herbed Spicy Pork Chops Recipe for an Easy Dinner
- Nutritious Honey Baked Salmon with Dijon Mustard
- 5 Incredibly Easy Filipino Recipes for Dinner to Help You Plan Your Week
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does this lemon chicken pasta with spinach last in the refrigerator?
Store this lemon chicken pasta with spinach in the refrigerator and consume within 3-4 days for optimal freshness.
What is the rule of thumb in regard to substituting fresh herbs for dried herbs?
Dry herbs are more potent compared to fresh herbs. A good rule of thumb is to use 3x the amount of fresh herbs compared to dried herbs. For example, 1 tablespoon of fresh parsley is equivalent to one teaspoon of dried parsley.
How much juice can you get from one lemon?
Usually, 1 lemon can yield 3 tablespoons of juice depending on the size of the lemon.