Herb loaded pappardelle with Italian sausage in a rich roasted tomato-based sauce full of flavor! Simmered with spicy Italian sausage, garlic, and fresh parmesan cheese, this dish comes together in less than an hour for a gourmet pasta recipe perfect for any occasion!
This tomato-roasted pappardelle with Italian sausage takes the basic tomato sauce pasta recipe into an elevated, rich sauce in no time at all!
Each noodle is perfectly coated with a sauce that is literally simmered to perfection that totally gives you those Tuscany vibes! It’s too good!
Completely done under an hour for our ultimate pappardelle pasta sauce recipe that is definitely not from a can!
This post will go over everything you need to know to create this pappardelle with Italian sausage.
Recipe difficulty: Easy beginner recipe with limited chopping!
Creamy sausage pappardelle recipe topped with fresh parmesan cheese, garlic, and herbs for a spicy, roasted-tomato sauce that is seriously good enough to eat by itself! This Italian pappardelle pasta recipe uses actual roasted tomatoes for a freshness that cannot be denied. Read the tips below on how I can get this done under an hour! More like 45 minutes….
Sam’s Pro Tips for this Pappardelle with Italian Sausage
Roast the Tomatoes
The ultimate tip right here!
Don’t skip out on roasting the tomatoes! Seriously! By roasting the tomatoes, you deepen the flavor of the sauce and your Italian sausage ragu recipe is anything but basic!
The tomatoes will roast in the oven for only 30-35 minutes at 450 degrees Fahrenheit after being tossed with a blend of delicious herbs like thyme, basil, oregano, and garlic powder. So good!
Similar to my 5-Step Easy Garlic Baked French Fries Recipe, make sure to coat the baking pan with olive oil or non-stick spray to prevent sticking!
Cook Your Pasta with Salt and Oil
Like my Best Shrimp Scampi Recipe with Pasta, I like to cook my pasta with salt and oil!
I know this is a hit or miss topic as there are varying opinions, but I find that the salt helps flavor the pasta and the olive oil prevents my noodles from sticking!
Super helpful if you forget to occasionally stir the pasta as it cooks (Totally guilty of this!)
Bigger the Pan the Better
I mentioned this tip in my Lemon Chicken Pasta with Spinach with an Olive Oil Dressing, but this tip will totally make your life easier!
This creamy tomato sausage pasta needs to be mixed thoroughly for the flavor to develop and for the roasted sauce to coat the pappardelle noodles. Therefore, you need room to mix the ingredients!
A larger pan will make this simpler and prevent a mess in your kitchen!
No Pappardelle? No Problem!
I know finding pappardelle can be hard to find at times, even though it’s totally worth it!
If you can’t find these type of noodles, no worries! Fettucine can work fine in a pinch and the sauce will work nicely for this pasta with sausage and tomatoes real simple recipe!
Key Ingredients – Pappardelle with Italian Sausage
Below are some key and optional ingredients for this recipe:
Pasta and Sausage
- Pappardelle: Thicker noodles work best with this pappardelle with Italian sausage to really savor that roasted tomato flavor! You can definitely use something different, but we like pappardelle with this type of pasta!
- Italian sausage: We love using the spicy or hot Italian sausage to simmer with the sauce! Make sure to remove the casings when balling or breaking apart the sausage! Don’t forget this step!
Sauce for the Pappardelle with Italian Sausage
- Tomatoes on the vine: Roast 6 large tomatoes in the oven for that rich sauce in the pappardelle with Italian sausage. I used tomatoes on the vine, but you can use another type of tomato on hand if easier!
- Garlic: The garlic will simmer in the sauce and give a nice, aromatic flavor. Buy the garlic already peeled to save time!
- Whipping cream: The ultimate ingredient to getting this creamy pappardelle with Italian sausage! 1 ½ cups are used and you’ll find the sauce will turn to a beautiful light orange color.
- Tomato sauce: To be sure you get that tomato flavor, a small can of tomato sauce is used to add to the sauce and will combine with the other ingredients for this Italian sausage ragu recipe.
- Sage: Such a nice earthy herb, only a ½ tablespoon of dried sage is used due to its strong taste. Yum!
- Red chili flakes: For a bit of spice and elevates the flavor! Season to preference.
- Garlic powder (optional): Use garlic powder in the sauce to add to that herbed flavor and fresh garlic to really elevate that garlic taste.
- Parmesan cheese: Grate fresh parmesan cheese to get that fresh flavor. Way better than the canned stuff…
Seasoning for the Roasted Tomatoes
- Seasoning blend: When roasting the tomatoes in the oven, these babies will be tossed with dried thyme, basil, oregano, garlic powder, salt and pepper, and olive oil for a tasty blend of herbs with the tomatoes. Once roasted, the tomatoes will simmer in the sauce for our creamy sausage pappardelle and really take the flavor up a notch!
More Variations to this Pappardelle with Italian Sausage
There are a few ways you can variate this pappardelle with Italian sausage recipe. Here’s how:
- Alternate the cheese: Not joking! I remember running out of parmesan cheese and I used shredded Manchego cheese instead. It was so good! The result was a more intense flavor as the Manchego cheese is a lot more robust and paired perfectly with our pappardelle pasta sauce recipe.
- Have any more easy pasta dishes? Yes! One of our favorite recipes here is The Ultimate Filipino Spaghetti Sauce Recipe, served on spaghetti! The sauce is super addicting and a popular favorite! For warmer weather, our Asian-Inspired Easy Cold Pasta Salad Recipe | 7-Ingredients Only is a great toss-together pasta with a zesty rice vinegar dressing.
- What can I pair with this dish? This dish is so good already! However, make this a complete meal with our 15-Minute Mini Pecan Sticky Buns to Drool Over or our 7-Minute Party Perfect Creme De Menthe Parfait to satisfy that sweet craving!
Looking for some awesome printables that are totally FREE? Our favorite! Check out our FREE LIBRARY for our Grocery Checklist or Top 5 Ingredients you Need for Filipino Cooking printables to help you on your cooking journey!
- 20-Minute Filipino Sardines Pasta Recipe
- 15-Minute Asian Chili Garlic Butter Shrimp with Sprite
- Habanero Herbed Spicy Pork Chops Recipe for an Easy Dinner
- Party Favorite Sriracha Deviled Eggs with Shredded Parmesan
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the difference between fettuccine and pappardelle?
Pappardelle are wider noodles than fettucine and are used when the sauce is heavier in the dish.
How long does this pappardelle with Italian sausage last in the refrigerator?
This pappardelle with Italian sausage can last 3-4 days in the refrigerator for optimal flavor.
Can I use pappardelle instead of fettuccine?
If you can’t find pappardelle noodles for our pappardelle with Italian sausage recipe, fettucine noodles can be used.
What is the rule of thumb in regard to substituting fresh herbs for dried herbs?
Dry herbs are more potent compared to fresh herbs. A good rule of thumb is to use 3x the amount of fresh herbs compared to dried herbs. For example, 1 tablespoon of fresh parsley is equivalent to one teaspoon of dried parsley.