With Fall on the way, this Asian-inspired pepitas salad is full of spicy flavor with oh so soft poke and jalapeno chips! No measuring needed for this filling salad topped with a toasted sesame dressing! Easy, nutritious, and should be on your list of salad goals!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I’ll receive a commission if you purchase through my links, at no extra cost to you. Please read full disclosure for more information.
This ultimate pepitas salad is definitely not bland, as this healthy dish takes a bed of spring mix covered with roasted black sesame, edamame beans, and even cilantro!
Assemble this poke bowl salad to preference as this is no wrong way to incorporate these delicious flavors!
As an added bonus, this dish is so pretty to look at with beautiful shades of pinks and greens that it’s sure to impress! Too good!
This post will go over everything you need to know to create this pepitas salad.
Recipe difficulty: Assemble and toss….no doubt a beginner level recipe!
Having pepitas in salad ups the salad game and gives this poke bowl salad recipe a bit of crunch! The beautiful part of this all is that this amazing salad takes less than 10 minutes to make that is for sure restaurant quality! Perfect for a healthy lunch option or even dinner!
Sam’s Pro Tips for this Pepitas Salad
Buy the Poke Pre-Made
Literally this is a time-saver, and a cheaper way to making one of this veggie poke bowl ideas!
For this Asian-inspired pepitas salad, I like to buy at least half a pound of spicy tuna poke to top my salad. Have you seen what they charge for a basic poke salad?!
This will usually be enough for two LOADED salad bowls while still staying fresh with a beautiful color.
A good rule of thumb is to store the poke in the refrigerator at the max for two good days, with three days pushing it! Once it starts to have a slight gray color, don’t risk it!
No Measuring! Seriously!
Like my 6-Ingredient Asian Mango Salad with a Toasted Sesame Dressing | No Measuring, this salad with pepitas and avocado is way too easy! Who doesn’t love easy?!
We use a baby spring mix in our savory pepitas recipe for the best combination. A good rule of thumb for a nice, even mix of greenery is to grab two hefty handfuls of spring mix for your salad bowl!
Another tip on making this dish under 10 minutes is to not chop the cilantro! We love using cilantro to top off our salads like our 11-Minute Spicy Asian Cucumber Salad Recipe, and we simply wash and toss right in!
The cilantro leaves will blend perfectly with the baby spring mix in this pepitas salad, and you don’t need to waste your time chopping!
The Best Toasted Sesame Dressing
For the BEST flavor of dressing, we love using the Trader Joe’s Organic Toasted Sesame Dressing in our savory pepitas recipe!
This dressing compliments the salad so well and does not overpower the flavor of the poke and pepitas. Rich and delicious!
You only need to put a little of the dressing on top of the salad and watch the flavors blend perfectly!
Make sure to check out our Top 5 Crazy-Cheap Ingredients You Need for Filipino Cooking and Where to Find It from my free resource library for more recommended Asian ingredients to keep in your pantry!
Key Ingredients – Pepitas Salad
Below are some key ingredients for this recipe:
- Baby spring mix: This salad with pepitas and avocado uses baby spring mix for a great mix of lettuce and even spinach. The different colors is definitely eye-catching!
- Pepitas: So pepitas are a type of pumpkin seed without that huge shell. Similar to pine nuts, it has a great crunch to them without a super strong flavor! You can even use toasted pepitas in this poke bowl salad recipe!
- Poke: For the best flavor combination, we love to use a spicy tuna equivalent for that zesty taste! Use as much poke as you want, but usually 2 scoops is plenty with the other toppings!
- Avocado: Using sliced avocados turns this savory pepitas recipe into a filling and nutritious dish! We used ½ an avocado cut into slices for the perfect amount!
- Jalapeno chips: So, we LOVE using the Trader Joe’s Crispy Jalapeno Pieces in this pepitas salad! Spicy, crispy, and so versatile, this compliments the salad perfectly!
- Roasted black sesame: For the best poke bowl vegetables combination, top our salad off with roasted black sesame for that earthy taste. Tastes so good with the toasted sesame dressing!
- Edamame: Adding edamame beans to this poke bowl salad recipe is what gives that Asian flare to this salad. Quick tip – Buy the edamame beans already shelled so you can just toss right in!
- Cilantro: The freshness of the chopped cilantro brightens this dish and gives incredible flavor. Beautiful and healthy!
- Toasted sesame dressing: The secret sauce on why this salad works! Use to preference but a little goes a long way.
More Variations to this Pepitas Salad
There are a few ways you can variate this pepitas salad. Here’s how:
- Add mango or cucumber: For a refreshing twist to this savory pepitas recipe, add cubed mango or cucumber slices. You’ll get some sweetness and of course a pop of color. Prep time may need to be adjusted accordingly.
- Need some quick side dish ideas? Side dishes easily turn a main dish to a complete meal with different choices. If you want more Asian side dishes, our Asian-Inspired Easy Cold Pasta Salad Recipe | 7-Ingredients Only is a refreshing cold pasta salad! Or our Filipino Pork Barbecue Skewer Recipe Perfectly Glazed can be both a side or main dish for a tangy and sweet meat dish!
- What can I pair with this dish? This salad with pepitas and avocado is already filling on its own but can definitely be paired with other main dishes! Our 30-Minute Creamy Garlic Salmon Pasta with Dijon Mustard is a great seafood alternative full of flavor!
Looking for some awesome printables that are totally FREE? Our favorite! Check out our FREE LIBRARY for our Grocery Checklist or Top 5 Ingredients you Need for Filipino Cooking printables to help you on your cooking journey!
- Beefy Filipino Style Lasagna That is Extremely Saucy
- 20-Minute Shrimp and Pineapple Fried Rice with Sriracha
- 20-Minute Chili Brown Sugar Salmon
- Rich and Creamy Mango Cheesecake Instant Pot Recipe
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I make salad taste better?
Make your salad taste better by incorporating a sweet, crispy, and savory topping blend. Consider adding nuts, fruit, cheeses, a protein choice, and different colored vegetables.
What is a green salad made of?
There are many types of green salad but this pepitas salad uses baby spring mix topped with pepitas and poke for a zesty blend. Customizable to preference, top with cilantro, avocado, and even jalapeno chips.
What are the seeds called that you put on salad?
Pepitas are a type of pumpkin seed without that huge outer shell. These seeds can work nicely in a salad for an earthy taste. Other seeds that will be great topping choices are sunflower, chia, or even hemp seeds.
Leave a Reply