This colorful steak with bell peppers is juicy, succulent, and full of that zesty flavor! The perfect filling for tacos, pita pockets, or even just by itself! Using three different kinds of bell peppers and diced potato, this dish looks way too good on the plate!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I’ll receive a commission if you purchase through my links, at no extra cost to you. Please read full disclosure for more information.
Get ready to taste the rainbow with our mouthwatering steak with bell peppers! Colorful and delicious!
Using sirloin steak, each bite has that addicting pepper flavor made fresh without any preservatives all done under 30-minutes!
Plus, we have an optional RECOMMENDED ingredient to totally take this sirloin steak and peppers to another level! The ultimate ingredient right here….keep reading!
This post will go over everything you need to know to create this steak with bell peppers.
Recipe difficulty: Besides some chopping….this steak with bell peppers is too easy!
Similar to those spanish steak with peppers and onions recipes, this is a total childhood recipe using fresh ingredients for that zesty, fresh flavor! Not one, but THREE different refreshing bell peppers are added! Use your favorite skillet and get sauteing!
Sam’s Pro Tips for this Steak with Bell Peppers
Don’t Use Cold Steak!
Overdone steak is the absolute worst, who likes tough, chewy pieces? Eww!
In my 5-Step Best Beef Salpicao Recipe, I shared my top tips for cooking steak so definitely have a looksie if you want more tips on this.
However, one of the EASIEST takeaways you can do to get the most juicy, tender bite of steak, is to NEVER cook it cold! Steak should be pulled from the refrigerator to rest for at least 20-30 minutes prior to cooking.
When steak is cooked cold, some parts can cook unevenly leading to tough pieces of meat in this steak and peppers and onions.
Aim for Medium Cooked Steak – Very Important!
So this should be your first goal right here once the steak hits the pan!
After browning the steak for 3-5 minutes on each side, the steak will continue to cook with the peppers and potatoes for another 10 minutes. Don’t aim for well-done!
Cook the steak JUST ENOUGH so that it doesn’t toughen and dry out in our steak with bell peppers and onions.
Cut the Stem of the Bell Peppers Last
Do peppers burn your skin? Well, we have the perfect trick to prevent that!
In our 20-Minute Skillet Mozzarella Cheese Potatoes with Peppers, we discussed our simple way to chopping jalapenos, but this can work for bell peppers too!
To prevent your hands from burning, a trick is to cut the stem LAST.
Once you learn this trick, it’ll be no problem cooking with any type of peppers for this zesty steak with bell peppers.
Use a Wide-Based Pan to Sear NOT STEAM the Steak
Be sure to use a wide enough pan to sear the steak! The steak needs room to cook and to brown evenly.
If it overcrowds in the pan, then this pepper steak recipe with tomatoes will start to steam and retain liquid when browning. In short, it will appear like there was TOO much liquid in the dish. The pan I used was barely big enough!
We love this Elite Gourmet Extra Deep Non-stick Electric Skillet as it’s huge enough to brown the steak and toss the other ingredients together with plenty room.
Be sure to check out The Top Kitchen Essentials You Need to Make Your Life Easier for other time saving gadgets!
Key Ingredients – Steak with Bell Peppers
Below are some key and optional ingredients for this recipe:
Steak and Peppers
- Top sirloin steak: I hate chewy steak! So we love using top sirloin steak in our steak with bell peppers recipe. Quick tip- Cut the steak to your desired thickness depending on if you want this in a taco or pita pocket.
- Bell peppers: 3 different bell peppers are used! Colorful strips of red, green, and orange, are added to our sirloin steak and peppers for freshness and obvious appealing color.
- Red ruby potatoes: Four potatoes are diced in a triangular wedge cut to make this dish extra filling. Quick tip -Cut to desired thickness depending on preference!
- Tomato: Use one large tomato for its sweet juice to balance the peppers and get that additional pop of red color in this steak with bell peppers and onions.
Here is the blend of seasonings we love to use… no measuring needed as you can add to preference:
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Chili powder
- Ground cumin
- Salt and pepper (just the basics can be all you need if you don’t want to use these other spices!)
Optional but RECOMMENDED Ingredient
To take this steak with bell peppers and onions to whole other level, add 2 tablespoons of our jalapeno butter from our 2-Step Jalapeno Honey Butter with Lime!
Add little nobs of the butter as a finishing touch once the steak and peppers is cooked. Make sure to have the butter already prepared!
Put the nobs of butter in the center and the outside of the pan with the heat turned off, as the heat in the pan will melt the butter and give a beautiful, glazed look to the steak.
More Variations to this Steak with Bell Peppers
There are a few ways you can variate this steak with bell peppers. Here’s how:
- Add the rice! We all know steak peppers and onions over rice is the ultimate satisfying dish. So if you want this dish on its own, have some rice on the side like our 7-Minute Cilantro Cauliflower Lime Rice or our Filipino Garlic Fried Rice | Sinangag to spoon this steak with bell peppers over! Yum!
- Do you have other favorite steak recipes? Yes! So obviously our 5-Step Best Beef Salpicao Recipe is one of our absolute favorites or our Filipino Bistek Recipe | Steak and Onions is a family classic! Make sure to apply the steak tips we discussed in these recipes!
- What can I pair with this dish? The fun part! Pair this pepper steak recipe with a fave dessert like our 15-Minute Mini Pecan Sticky Buns to Drool Over or Creamy Filipino Leche Flan for Your Next Party for the perfect end to this dish.
Looking for some awesome printables that are totally FREE? Our favorite! Check out our FREE LIBRARY for our Grocery Checklist or our Instant Pot Cooking Times Chart printables to help you on your cooking journey!
- Juicy Oven Baked Turkey Meatballs with Healthy Vegetables
- Authentic Mexican Enchiladas Vegetarian Recipe with Cheese
- 5-Step Easy Chile Relleno Recipe You’ll Love
- Perfectly Sweet and Crispy Filipino Turon Recipe | Fried Banana Rolls
Frequently Asked Questions
How long do this steak with bell peppers last in the refrigerator?
Consume this steak with bell peppers within 3-4 days for optimal flavor.
How do you make beef tender?
Make sure the steak is allowed to rest and brought to room temperature before cooking. Cooking cold steak can lead to overcooking and toughness.
Can you put potatoes on a skillet?
Red ruby potatoes cook relatively quickly on the skillet due to the thin skin. Plus, there is no need to peel the skin for this recipe.
Leave a Reply